These be wild times! However, the glory of the internet allows us to still do some pretty great stuff. That includes #Writermentor!
Greetings potential mentees! I hope you are ready as I am to embark on a spring and summer writing adventure.
I live in the suburban wastelands of Connecticut, on the No Man’s Land eastern half of the state, where the Starbucks are few and far between and the weekend gamblers roam the highways, looking for slot machines. Everything smells of nutmeg. All hail the spice.
My sense of humor is on the weird and dark side.
I have two kiddos on spectrum, and two trash goblins masquerading as cats. I spend a lot of time reading, juggling a never ending to do list, and stalking the elusive nap.
To date, I have written several short pieces for various anthologies, serialized fiction, and this past year I published two novels; Ragnarok Unwound, an offbeat comic mythological mashup, and Marrow Charm, a dark, twisty YA Fantasy.
This year, I signed a historical paranormal mannerpunk series with City Owl Press.
You can usually find me on the Tweeter or hearting all the bookish posts on Instagram.
Now onto serious business!
This year, I am taking on YA. While I love MG, I feel I can offer a better set of editing skills to a YA novel than a MG novel.
I believe in a combination of constructive criticism and complimentary comments. I will absolutely tell you what is working in your piece, and where it needs improvement. If you are my mentee, I 100% believe in your work and I want to help you make your story as ready to rumble as possible.
I will work through to 2 to 3 rounds of edits with you, depending on your comfort level with your story. I will help you tackle everything from plot cohesion to character development. I have an eye for fine detail and will help you create a strong, consistent piece.
I am open to communication via email and phone, and I have a personal discord set up for more immediate conversation.
Good luck, potentials! I look forward to reading your manuscript!
Leave me a comment below! Here is the General FYI:
Applications open on the 15th and remain open until 11.59pm GMT on 17th April.
– You will need to have a completed manuscript.
– You will need to send us a query letter, 1st chapter (double-spaced, 12″ TNR), and 1-page synopsis (single-spaced) along with your application, so ensure these are as good as they can be. The first chapter should be no more than 3,000 words.
– For Picture Books, please send the full text. Illustrations are not needed, but illustrator notes are fine.
– You can apply to 3 mentors. So be sure to research them thoroughly and chat to them during our Twitter Mentor chat week, starting 6th April.
– It is 1 application (1 novel) per person.
Charlie wilsonApril 7, 2020
Kristin JacquesApril 7, 2020
sarahApril 13, 2020
Kristin JacquesApril 13, 2020